Commuting takes up a significant portion the day for many Canadians. The amount of time spent in this inactivity on a nationwide scale is alarming.
In our time-poor society where everybody is leading busy lives, it is important to make the most of our time as it is invaluable and limited.
According to a study done by Stats Canada, millions of Canadians commute on a regular basis to work and back. In private vehicles, the average is 23.7 minutes, bus riders average 40.4 minutes, subway users average 44.6 minutes, and train commuters average 52.5 minutes.
Time is money and your time is important. Here is a list of activities that you can do to maximize the utility of your time during your commutes.
- Read a book - recreational reading is an effective way to learn about interesting topics that spark your curiosity or allow you to dive into fictional adventures.
- Podcasts - listen to a podcast and enhance your understanding of an assortment of topics or maybe hear about the opinions of experts from topics of your interest.
- Learn a new language - in today’s multicultural world, being bilingual can be an invaluable asset. Consider getting a language app and learn a new language.
- Resting - set an alarm on your phone and take a quick nap to get some extra sleep before you get to your destination.
- Catching up with friends - consider coordinating with a friend to commute with to make your rides an enjoyable time to hang out and catch up.
Photo Courtesy of AcidBomber